Historic Carriage House Studio Apt in the Heart of it all. Dupont & Logan Circle on 16th & R. - Cozy Studio Apartment in the Heart of the city. This studio is in the carriage house of the Shehan Mansion on 16th Street and R St NW. The unit offers hardwood floors with a compact kitchen and a bathroom featuring a shower. A small seating area is right outside your door. The Studio is being renovated with fresh paint (coming soon) and an updated kitchen (coming soon). Street Parking. Small Dogs accepted with a one-time non-refundable pet fee of $400. No Laundry.
TAKE A YOUTUBE VIDEO TOUR - https://youtu.be/GIBEk3fY_Dk
The property is close to grocery stores (Trader Joe's, Safeway, Whole Foods, etc.), restaurants, and bars in addition to a variety of other commercial establishments. The property has a walk score of 96, riders score of 93, and bikers score of 94! Dupont Metro is .5 miles away (red line) and U Street Metro is .5 miles away (Green and Yellow line). There are also several bus routes in the general area, S1, S4, S2, S9, G2, 54, 53, and 52. There are ten Capital Bike shares within 5 blocks!
The application fee is $77 per person. The building is professionally managed by Chatel Real Estate. $75 flat utility fee which includes water, electric, and trash removal. One year lease minimum lease. First month's rent and a security deposit equal to one month rent due at lease signing.
Contact agent Craig Shireman, "Craig The Chatel Chateau Specialist" at Chatel Real Estate, Inc. (202) 338-0500-Georgetown office (202) 360-6062-cell (texts are welcomed) or email CRAIG@Chatel.US.
HISTORY OF THE HOME:
This large corner residence, a mixture of the Romanesque and Queen Anne styles, was constructed in 1885 for George A. Shehan, the owner of a prosperous lumber company once located on the present site of the Federal Triangle. W. Bruce Gray, a transplanted New York architect who often worked in partnership with Washington architect Harvey Page, was responsible for the design. Other notable buildings designed by the Gray & Page firm include the old Army and Navy Club and the Metropolitan Club. The builder was John McGregor, a Scottish-born master builder who worked with Washington's most prominent architects between1885 and 1910. The house costs approximately $25,000 to build, including a detached, two-story carriage house at the rear of the property. A conservatory connecting the two structures was built in 1923. A photograph of the residence appearing in Washington: Houses of the Capital highlights the most prominent feature of the structure: the five-story tower with its ornate, wrought-iron balcony.
The Shehan's lived in the house until George's death in 1903. Theodore D. Wilson, the chief constructor of the US Navy Department and the owner of the adjoining home, purchased 1633 16th Street and leased it to the Bolivian government in 1919 for use as the Bolivian Legation, the residence of the Bolivian foreign minister. Vintage photos of the house indicate it also once served as the Embassy of Ecuador. In 1923, prominent Washington businessman Robert L. Pyle purchased the property and converted it into a residential hotel known as the Bolivian Club. In 1951, the Pyle family purchased the adjoining house and connected it to the Bolivian Club by creating openings in the party wall on every floor. In its heyday, the Bolivian Club offered guests a choice of 42 bedrooms and 22 bathrooms, meals included. In 1977, the Bolivian Club was converted into an office building and remained so until a new owner bought the combined structure in 1992. The owner subdivided the structures into their original configuration as two separate residences in 1993 and converted the corner house into a residence.